05 December 2003

A Cross Cultural Moment

Today when talking to Sasha, the CEUME’s director, in his office, I noticed a color brochure with the picture of a dean of a university here in Kyiv, one of CEUME’s partner institutions. It was an advertisement for his 60th birthday, which was also today. It was in Ukrainian, but I think it was detailing his accomplishments, etc. I asked Sasha about it, wondering why the brochure was made and if the 60th birthday has some special significance here. Sasha explained that 60 is the age that people can retire and get pensions, but that this gentleman would continue working. There was to be a big party at the university that he would go to. This dean has worked with CEUME since it’s beginning and has been a major proponent of business education reform in Ukraine, so he is a close colleague for us.

Later in the afternoon, Sasha and a couple of coworkers returned from the party, and they began talking about going shopping and getting a bunch of food. Shortly afterwards, I went into the office kitchen to investigate what was going on. We sometimes have small parties on Friday afternoons, with wine and cognac, and cheese, cold cuts, pickles, olives, bread, and a sweet. Svita, my coworker, informed me that we would be having a “table” to celebrate the dean’s birthday. Surprised, I asked if he would be there. No, she replied, but we’ll toast him in his absence.

Soon, I was being called from my computer: “Wendy, come here. It’s time to drink vodka.” (That’s a joke because we never drink vodka, being predominantly women)

A lovely spread was on our conference room table, nice cheeses, ham, pickles, pickled tomatoes, olives, bread, mushrooms and a cake, with wine and cognac to drink. It is customary when drinking with people to give toasts, so Olga first, then Sasha, then Svita, gave long and inspirational toasts to the dean, extolling his virtues and wishing him a long life.

For me, this illustrates so many characteristics that I love here: ceremony, using any excuse to celebrate, recognizing individuals publicly, love of long toasts.

No comments: