30 September 2004

A couple of weeks after returning to Ukraine, we planned a reception. We invited close to 50 people, friends from our work, from Peace Corps, etc. I catered it myself and was lucky to have a couple of girlfriends help me cook and shop, as well as Christopher’s shopping, cleaning and arranging the apartment. The day of the reception, I came home at lunch to finish cooking, put the food out, etc.

About 40 or so people came throughout the evening. I was really honored that so many of the people I work with came. Even though we specified in the invite that we didn’t want presents, people of course brought them. A couple that were really highlights: several of my coworkers brought us a painted container of salt and an embroidered fabric. Ukrainians love to give long, elaborate speeches and toasts, as I’ve likely mentioned before. Lecia, a very sweet coworker, represented the salt-gifters and told us how salt is representative of many things in a marriage – seasoning, that life will not always be sweet, prosperity, etc.

The other gift, perhaps my favorite because of its creativity, is a flowering plant, the "Flower of Love" that Christopher’s student, Lena, gave us. As Stephanie quipped, I hope that I don’t kill that flower. No pressure!

Christopher set up the computer to show a slideshow of photos from our wedding and the trip home and he played the wedding mix music as well. Everyone looked at our photo album, beautiful images taken by our talented and generous friend, Stacy Moore.

No comments: