27 October 2003

Today's observations...

I have been running in a beautiful, nearby park in the mornings lately. As I walk there, I pass all of the street cleaners, many women in colorful head scarves, sweeping leaves off the sidewalk with their homemade brooms, made out of tied together twigs. The leaves are falling so quickly now and I try to remember to look up a lot, knowing that the trees will soon be starker.

I also pass by many people walking to work, dressed in dark coats and hats, some with children, most with the ubiquitous "packet" or heavy plastic shopping bag that is the carryall of choice.

The park has a very ornate palace of sorts, which is one of the president's many residences throughout the city and country, and a great view of the Dnipr and east of the city. I love to pause a moment there, looking at the mist or seeing what the sky is doing where it meets the earth.

There are many people out walking their dogs and today one woman's female rottweiler took an interest in me as I ran by. I'm never been remotely afraid of dogs, but they speak a different language here and so I'm more cautious with them. Dogs tend to stay close to their owners and are more circumspect of humans. I have observed some people kicking or hitting dogs and have heard stories about this as well, so it may contribute to this.

The dog's person reassured me, saying that while some of the breed bite, her dog didn't. After letting the furry friend smell me, I started to run again and she leapt up, wanting to play. It was nice and shockingly didn't get me all verklempt about my Hawkstar, so far away.

The other observation: I'm riding the marshrutka to work, a short drive fortunately. Looking out the window, getting teary about some personal nonsense, when I spy a billboard advertising a vacuum cleaner, with the word "sucker" spelled out in Cyrillic. It's all so ridiculous here sometimes and those moments of levity and humor help tremendously.

No comments: